AWWA NJ has a very active Student Affairs Committee, which manages scholarship applications, schedules speaking events, and coordinates all student-related Section activities.
The Goals and objectives of the Student Affairs Committee are to:
- To support existing student chapters and establishing new student chapters at New Jersey colleges.
- To be the resource and ambassador for students to the water works industry.
- To continue to develop programs to promote the water industry to college students, including road shows to discuss hot topics in the industry.
- To expand awareness of the water industry to the elementary and high school levels, with a particular focus on county technical high schools.
- To develop and maintain alliances with the NJ Educational Association and other New Jersey educational organizations.
- To continue and expand the internship and student job placement programs.
- To encourage students to pursue internships with companies within the Section.
- To administer the AWWA NJ Drinking Water Career Scholarships.
- To work with the Research and Technology Transfer Committee to encourage more colleges to do water research in New Jersey.
- To continue and expand the student research poster competition and awards at the Annual Section meeting.
- To promote ethical behavior among student chapters.